सन 2006 साली डॉ. अभय व डॉ. राणी बंग यांच्या प्रेरणेने सुरु झालेला'निर्माण' हा युवांसाठीचा उपक्रम...
'अर्थपूर्ण जीवनाचा समाजात शोध'ही संकल्पना मध्यवर्ती ठेवून तरुणांसाठी विकसित केलेली ही एक शिक्षणप्रक्रिया...
समाजात सकारात्मक बदल घडवून आणण्यासाठी विविध समस्यांचे आव्हान स्वीकारणा-या व त्याद्वारे स्वत:च्या आयुष्याचा अर्थ शोधू इच्छिणा-या युवा प्रयोगवीरांचा हा समुदाय...
'मी व माझे' याच्या संकुचित सीमा ओलांडून,त्यापलीकडील वास्तवाला आपल्या कवेत घेण्यासाठी स्वत:च्या बुद्धीच्या,मनाच्या व कर्तृत्वाच्या कक्षा विस्तारणा-या निर्माणींच्या प्रयत्नांचे संकलन म्हणजे "सीमोल्लंघन"!
गेल्या एका महिन्यातील निर्माणींच्या धडपडींचे थोडक्यात पण नेमके वृत्त दर महिन्याला आपल्यासाठी घेऊन येतील निखिल जोशीjosnikhil[at]gmail[dot]com, केदार आडकर kedaradkar[at]gmail[dot]comव सीमोल्लंघन टीम!

निर्माणबद्दल अधिक माहितीसाठी -http://nirman.mkcl.org,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nirman

Tuesday, 5 September 2017

Being a data journalist

We all know that journalism can be vague and biased in absence of data. Mukta Patil has been working with ‘IndiaSpend’, India’s data journalism initiative. Are you interested to know what is her role in IndiaSpend and what process does she follow when she drafts an article? This is what she has to share with all of us.

            “I grew up in Pune and went to Fergusson College for my Bachelors degree in Economics. After that I did a Masters in Media and Cultural Studies at the Tata Institute of Social Sciences in Mumbai. I have been working with IndiaSpend as an energy and environment analyst for about ten months now.
            I did not have a conscious plan to work as a data journalist. But when the chance presented itself, I decided to take it; because it is a great practice to immerse yourself in understanding issues through data, while not forgetting that human beings will face the implications of that data at the end of the day, whether good or bad.
            I write about wildlife conservation, forests, new and renewable energy sources, electrification in rural areas, problems with power generation and distribution to name a few. I follow the same formula all journalists do. When I think of anything that I would like to work on, I pitch it to my editor and discuss the best way to do the story with him. Once the basic boundaries are decided, I start to do some background research to understand what kind of data is available. I then talk to experts in the field to get their opinions. And as much as possible, I try to go and meet people who are affected or will face the impacts of whatever I am working on.”
            All the best to Mukta for her journey!
To know more about IndiaSpend, visit http://www.indiaspend.com/ .
Here are a couple of Mukta’s stories for you:

Leaders Treat Environment Like Indian Gods, Do Puja And Aarti, Pay Lip Service’



                                                                                                      Mukta Patil, NIRMAN 3             
                                                                                   muktavinaypatil@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment